The keen and caring spine specialists at Long Island Spine Rehabilitation Medicine have a remarkable record of successfully diagnosing and treating patients with spinal conditions. If your life is being negatively impacted by back, neck, shoulder, hip, knee or some other type of pain emanating from your spine, our spine specialists can help you find relief. More than that, because our back doctors are physiatrists, our focus is on rehabilitation as well as pain management, so our goal is to restore as much physical function as possible without surgery.
Spinal Conditions We Treat
According to the NIH, 80 percent of the population experiences the misery of back pain at some point. Not only are too many of these individuals unable to find relief, but many endure pain in other parts of their bodies that they are unaware originate from the spine. At our five convenient offices throughout Long Island, we routinely diagnose and treat:
- Back and neck pain — including stiffness, mobility issues, range-of-motion limitations
- Carpal tunnel syndrome — nerve compression of a major nerve in the wrist, leading to pain, numbness, and tingling in the hand and arm
- Hip pain — often caused by traumatic injury, overuse, awkward motion, or aging
- Knee pain — from ruptured ligament, torn cartilage, arthritis, excessive strain, aging
- Neuropathy — damage to peripheral nerves that often causes weakness, numbness, tingling, and/or stabbing pain, usually in the hands and feet
- Osteoarthritis — damage to joints when the protective cartilage that cushions the bones wears down due to aging, most commonly affecting hands, knees, hips and spine
- Disc herniation — bulging of the cushions between the vertebrae
- Spinal stenosis — narrowing of the spinal canal that puts pressure on the spinal cord and/or nerve roots
- Pinched nerves — resulting from pressure from bones, cartilage, muscles or tendons
- Sciatica — back pain caused by pressure on the large nerve running from the lower back down each leg that may also affect the hip, buttocks, and legs
- Shoulder pain — commonly caused by rotator cuff tendonitis due to strain or overuse
Our well-trained physicians use cutting-edge diagnostic methods, as well as thorough physical examinations, to pinpoint the source of your difficulties and zero in on the best minimally invasive treatments to help you heal.
Accurate Diagnosis Can Make All the Difference
At L.I. Spine Rehabilitation Medicine, a spine center with a well-earned reputation for excellence, we are dedicated to relieving your pain without surgery. As physiatrists, in addition to administering thorough physical exams and paying careful attention to patient histories, we have comprehensive, in-depth training in cutting-edge diagnostic methods, including:
- Interpreting imaging scans (e.g. X-rays, CT scans, MRIs)
- Administering diagnostic injections to show us exactly where your pain originates
- Performing electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction studies
Once we have accurately diagnosed the root cause of your spine condition, we will discuss with you how best to treat it safely, efficiently and cost-effectively. Our treatment procedures have the advantage of being administered on an outpatient basis, being non-invasive, pain-free and requiring no downtime.
We Treat Spinal Conditions Without Surgery
Some people suffer spine and other musculoskeletal pain for years because they fear the long recovery period and possible complications of spinal surgery. If you are one of those people, you will be happy to discover Long island Spine where we concentrate on returning you to wellness without invasive procedures. The following are some of the treatment methods we use that have a high rate of success:
- Spinal epidural injections
Using precise images generated by fluoroscopic guidance to guide us, we pinpoint the site of your pain and administer a spinal epidural injection to target the source of your pain.
In use for over 3,000 years in certain parts of the world, acupuncture has been rediscovered by modern physicians as an effective way to relieve pain. The tiny needles painlessly inserted during acupuncture* stimulate the central nervous system to release endorphins that act as natural painkillers.
*Acupuncture treatments are only administered in our East Meadow and Great Neck offices
PEMF (Pulsed Electromagnetic Field) technology decreases pain through the emission of varying frequencies of electromagnetic waves. By administering PEMF, we reinvigorate the body’s natural healing process. We have found this treatment to be effective in select spinal pain presentations.
At L.I. Spine We Believe That Caring Is an Important Part of Healing
You will find our back specialists and support staff to be genuinely compassionate. This is no accident since at Long Island Spine we are all committed to the principle that empathy is a necessary component of medicine. We know how important it is for you, the patient, to feel trust in us both as doctors and as people and we work every day to earn that trust.
The Sooner You Contact Long Island Spine, the Sooner You Will Begin Healing
Just as tension worsens pain, relaxation relieves it. We have set up our offices so that whichever one you enter you will feel comfortable immediately. Our spine doctors will put you at ease by listening carefully to all you have to say, explaining any diagnostic procedures and treatments we plan to administer, and answering all of your questions. Above all, we will give you the confidence that we will do everything in our power to treat not only your spinal problem but you as a whole person. Please contact our office today for an evaluation of your condition and treatment options.