Many of the patients we treat at Long Island Spine Rehabilitation Medicine are suffering musculoskeletal injuries due to car accidents — some recent and some that happened years ago but led to or accelerated other disease conditions, such as osteoarthritis.
Out of the millions of traffic accidents that occur on our roads, most are fender benders, resulting only in property damage, and, thankfully, only a relatively small percentage result in fatalities. However, a significant number result in musculoskeletal injuries to their drivers and/or passengers.
If you are recovering from a recent traffic accident or wonder if one you incurred years ago is coming back to haunt you, our highly skilled physiatrists can help. Our doctors are experts in pain management and restoration of function. More than that, we use only nonsurgical, holistic treatment methods.
Common Musculoskeletal Car Accident Injuries
Musculoskeletal car accident injuries are those that affect movement by damaging bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments, discs, or nerves. These injuries interfere with normal activities by restricting the range of motion and causing moderate to severe pain.
Below is a sampling of musculoskeletal car accident injuries our medical team successfully treats on a regular basis:
- Back pain
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Sprains (that affect ligaments)
- Strains (that affect tendons)
- Fractures of large or small bones
- Epicondylitis (inflammation of the elbow)
- Finger or thumb injuries (e.g. trigger finger)
- Herniated or ruptured discs (cervical or lumbar)
- Rotator cuff tendonitis (inflammation of tendons in the shoulder)
Any of these musculoskeletal car accident injuries can result in intense pain that worsens with activity, inflammation, and swelling, redness, and/or heat at the affected area. This is why correctly diagnosing the problem is essential if the condition is to be properly treated.
Accurate Diagnosis Comes First
Our medical team has a pragmatic approach. We are eager to alleviate your pain and bring you back to maximum function as quickly as possible. Nonetheless, we understand the critical importance of accurate diagnosis. We will never treat you until we understand what underlying tissue damage is causing your problem. To this end, we will use the most advanced diagnostic methods available. Depending on the nature of your injury, we may use:
- Imaging tests, e.g. X-rays, CT scans, MRIs, ultrasound
- Electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction studies
- Ultrasound-guided injections to show us precisely where your pain originates
- Diagnostic medial branch blocks to find out if your pain is coming from the facet joints of your spinal column
- Discography to find out which vertebral disc is damaged
Long Island Spine Rehabilitation Medicine Offers a Broad Range of Treatment Options
Once we have accurately diagnosed your injury, we will decide, with your input, on the best treatment plan for you. We know that individual preferences and requirements vary according to past medical history, lifestyle choices, and age. We are also aware that the same treatment may have varying efficacy on different individuals. In most cases, we find that a combination of some of the following therapies will provide the best results:
- Acupuncture to interrupt pain signals, accelerate healing,
and stimulate the production of natural opioids
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) to promote healing
- Physical therapy, including electrical stimulation, to restore strength and range of motion
- Steroid/analgesic injections to relieve pain and inflammation directly at the source
- PEMF (Pulsed Electromagnetic Field) therapy to treat pain and inflammation
by increasing blood flow
- RFA (Radio Frequency Ablation) to deaden the nerves of the back
that are transmitting pain signals
Contact Our Competent, Caring Long Island Pain Specialists Today
We know how traumatic car accidents can be, especially when you are seriously injured. It’s hard to recover emotionally (and perhaps financially) while you’re dealing with ongoing physical pain.
As soon as you meet with one of our talented professionals, you will begin to relax, confident that you have come to the right place. We have the precise know-how to help you heal from your musculoskeletal car accident injury quickly, using the least invasive treatments possible. Get in touch with our office today.